In Freshman Seminar, I was handed a small 6x2” slip of paper with a specific name typed on it. When I first seen the name, I didn’t have any attachment or claim towards the name at all. This was simply another class, another day, another assignment, and just another name. I assumed that the name belonged to an important figure and based on prior knowledge at this university, I assumed that the name belonged to an important African-American figure. After reading the name to myself, seeing the title “dr.”, I automatically assumed that this specific person was a well-educated figure. So, from simply analyzing the name I figured out that the individual was an important, well-educated African American. What I didn’t know about the name was that the figure, Dr. Sherrill Berryman Johnson, was a Howard professor. I didn’t know anything about my given topic. After doing some brief online research, I didn’t find much information until I found her memorial. At that point in time is where I realized that Dr. Berryman Johnson had recently passed away. This factor influenced me to write more of a contemplative analysis because I believe that such a dignifying approach sends my upmost regards to her. For any other lecture reflection, I would simply talk about the lecture’s content, but to talk about Dr. Berryman Johnson’s achievements seems to be a recurring cliché. I would rather acknowledge the individuals that she has blessed through her instruction in theatre and artistic choreography. I would like to acknowledge anyone that knew her and was able to grow close to her because her absence is detrimental but I believe her presence was a lot more significant. I would lastly like to acknowledge the craft that she left, molded and fitted for future aspirers to openly adopt and use for the nourishment of their inner artisan.
No comments:
Post a Comment